29 March 2014

A new geek for me - colorizing photographs

After reading about how people are colorizing old photographs for fun, I decided I wanted to try it.  But I don't have Photoshop on my computer, which was the program used in the tutorial I discovered on a Genealogy page on Facebook that I follow.  I have always used Gimp, so off to Google I went to find a similar tutorial for Gimp.  This tutorial is what I found that made the most sense to me.  I also have been using this site as another reference for things like skin tone and the like.

I spent about five hours working on a few photographs.  I really shouldn't have been up until the odd hours of the night, but the process had me hooked.  Here is what I did in those five hours.  I also started a third photo, but it wasn't turning out the way I wanted it to.  I had to crop the photo of my Vautier ancestor because some of the background was a little hard to color because it was out of focus.



The colored photos that are posted here are the work of Kelley Wood-Davis.  If you would like to use a copy of them, please ask for permission.

William J. Vautier, my mother's great grandfather.
The colored version of his photo - This photograph was colored by Kelley Wood-Davis March 2014.  PLEASE do NOT copy this without written permission!





Edward C. Waldspurger I, my mom's grandfather
The colored version - This photograph was colored by Kelley Wood-Davis March 2014.  PLEASE do NOT copy this without written permission!



I really enjoyed the process, and I may from time to time do this to other photos.  The fun part is trying to figure out what my ancestors' skin tones or hair color may have looked like.  For example, the photo I colored of Edward Waldspurger I used his World War II draft registration card.  It also helps that a number of family members today in the Waldspurger family have brown hair with auburn highlights, so I chose to make his brown hair slightly red..  It is in doing a project such as this, paying attention to complexion, eye color and skin color on a military form helps greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are subject to deletion if they are inappropriate or deemed as spam. So please think carefully. I have the right to delete comments, as I am the owner of this blog.